In the GitLab 2018 Global Developer Report it says:
"As we look at 2018 and beyond, IT organizations that successfully adopt continuous improvement practices and seamless automation across their software development lifecycle will have happier, more collaborative, and well-functioning teams who are better positioned to meet their goals and objectives."
60% report automating more of the software development lifecycle as a top priority.
Other key findings from the survey:
- 61% agree that developers in their organization understand how their changes affect the performance of their application(s)
- 92% of respondents agree that open source tools are critical to software innovation
- 90% of managers, compared to 84% of developers, agree that practicing Continuous Integration (CI) alleviates blockers in the development process.
Testing came out on top when respondents were asked where in the development process they encountered the most delays:
From the report: Manual testing and a change of plans mid-process (often by non-technical stakeholders) cause headaches for developers. As one respondent summarized, “We need to plan better and automate more,” a sentiment that was echoed across multiple responses.
We can see from the above that automating the testing process as part of the CI pipeline is a critical area of improvement for development and DevOps teams. Performance testing is a key component of the overall testing process. Performance testing as part of your Continuous Integration process allows developers test early in the development cycle. This makes finding and fixing performance issues faster and more efficient.
View our on-demand webinar recording where we'll cover the basics of performance testing and how to incorporate it into your automation pipeline using the GitLab Continuous Integration tool. Learn how to execute performance tests with our open source load testing tool - k6 as part of your CI workflow.
In this webinar you'll learn:
- How to create and run a load test with k6
- How to set up load testing in a GitLab automation pipeline
- The benefits of k6 load testing in DevOps environments
This webinar is presented by Robin Gustafsson, CTO at Load Impact.